League sponsor - Vanarama
Sat 07
First Team
Curzon Ashton
Report: Morgan-Smith hat-trick sinks Curzon

Report: Morgan-Smith hat-trick sinks Curzon

By Towerzey Lisa
Share via

Alfreton Town 3-2 Curzon Ashton

Amari Morgan-Smith hit a hat-trick to take his tally to 10 for the season as the Reds bounced back to secure a fifth win in six and remain unbeaten at the Impact this season.

Amari pounced at the near post from Danny Clarke's cross before Danny East was tripped in the box and Morgan-Smith converted the penalty with the ball hitting the crossbar and bouncing over the line. The Reds forward completed his hat-trick in the second half reacting to a stray back-ward header to finish past Mason.

We conceded two goals in the final five minutes of the game to set up a nervy few minutes in stoppage time but the reaction came too late for the visitors.

The Nash started the game well and put us under early pressure with successive corners which were cleared away. However the first opening fell to us when Amari Morgan-Smith won a header in the box before latching onto the bouncing ball and forcing Mason into a strong stop in the box.

With 11 gone we took the lead when Danny Clarke's cross from the left was powerfully converted by Amari into the top corner at the near post. Danny East delivered a dangerous free kick which was cleared away before East was then tripped in the box giving us a penalty with 20 on the clock.

Amari stepped up and converted via the cross-bar with the ball bouncing over the line before it bounced back out. The Referee deemed that the ball had crossed the line despite brief protests from the visitors.

Alfreton were playing some fantastic football and Josh Wilde's cross found Dom Smith at the far post who looked to find Amari but crucial defending denied the Reds forward. The Reds continued to dominate the half after the initial Curzon pressure in the first five minutes of the game, Josh Thacker fired low at Mason from inside the D.

Wilde was then taken out in the box in first half stoppage time to give us a second penalty of the game. Amari looked to complete his hat-trick but saw his spot kick saved by the feet of Mason.

The second half was a quiet one for sustained periods with the Reds comfortable with the two goal lead and not too many chances being created from either side. Curzon struggled to get in behind us or stretch our defence as time ticked on.

Then with 70 gone, Amari grabbed his hat-trick when a Danny Clarke header was flicked backwards by a Curzon defender, however there was not enough pace on the header and Amari raced on to finish past Mason with ease.

Nyle Blake replaced Morgan-Smith and Nyle had an immediate chance as he was put through but Mason blocked his effort in the box. Then with 86 gone, the Nash were given a penalty for handball by Danny Clarke; subsequently a second bookable offence and the Referee sent Clarke off.

Wall finished the penalty into the bottom corner before Regan added a second in stoppage time to set up a nervy final minute of the game.

But the Reds held on and despite the result being 3-2, Alfreton could have been well out of sight throughout the game with the chances created. However we returned to winning ways to record a fifth win in six and remain unbeaten at the Impact this season.

ATFCXI: Atkinson, Clackstone, Wilde (c), Lynch, Killock, Qualter, Thacker, Smith, Clarke, Morgan-Smith (Blake 77), East.

Subs Not Used: Whitham, Williams, Hinchley.

Referee: Andy Sykes
Attendance: 473

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019






Vanarama National League North

League position

Alfreton Town
Curzon Ashton