League sponsor - Vanarama
Tue 24
Kings Lynn Town
First Team
Report: Reds exit FA Cup after Linnets comeback

Report: Reds exit FA Cup after Linnets comeback

By Towerzey Lisa
Share via

Kings Lynn Town 2-1 Alfreton Town

Alfreton Town were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup as goals from Adam Marriott and Nathan Fox sealed a comeback win for the Linnets in Tuesday night's second qualifying round replay.

Shane Killock had put us ahead after 51 minutes with a far post header which bounced into the bottom corner away from Street in the net. But Kings Lynn replied with Marriott's strike after he latched onto a loose ball in the box beating Andrew who got a leg to it.

Nathan Fox then fired a shot which Andrew got hands too but the ball deflected back-wards and into the net to seal progression for the hosts.

The game started evenly with neither side really creating early chances, the home fans were on Amari Morgan-Smith after our previous visit to the Walks ending in a 3-2 defeat with Amari elbowed leading to a straight red card for a Linnets defender.

Despite the relentless booing and cheering of mistakes, Amari did have the first chance as he muscled his way through in the box but Street denied his shot from a tight angle.

Kelly then flashed a cross come shot wide of the far post, but both sides were struggling to find a way through the other's defence. Danny Clarke and Bobby Johnson tried a neat one-two but the move broke down.

Josh Clackstone surged down the right side before his shot was palmed away by Street at the near post. Conor Branson then fired over the bar after a neat lay-off from Clarke in the box, Danny threatened again as his twisting forward run saw his shot blocked behind for a corner which the hosts cleared.

Carey had a good chance for Lynn but his shot went over the bar when he was well placed in the box, Barrows then expertly tackled Amari in the box as the Reds forward advanced into the box.

The Linnets pressed towards the end of the first half as Marriott fired wide of the post after a neat turn, Payne then forced Charlie Andrew into a great save as he tipped the shot wide of the post.

Branson had a big opening as he fired over the bar after he moved into space following Clarke's pass.

The second half started well for us as we pressed early on, Bobby Johnson's cross was a teasing one which was narrowly missed by Branson and Clarke. David Lynch then blocked Jones's shot before Andrew easily held a looping header from Jarvis.

Then with 51 gone we took the lead when Clackstone's cross found Killock at the far post and he guided his header into the bottom corner to give the Reds a huge goal in the tie.

However the lead lasted just six minutes as Marriott latched onto a loose ball in the box following a tackle and he fired past Andrew who got a leg to the effort. Street then palmed away Bobby's curler from the edge of the box.

The hosts had their tails up and their fans were encouraging them on, the Reds had to sit deep which invited the pressure on. We did venture forward as Clackstone found Josh Wilde who could only glance his header wide with a late run in the box.

Marriott fired wide of the far corner before Lynn did take the lead with 76 gone as Marriott raced into the box before back-heeling the ball into space for Fox to hit which Andrew got hands too but couldn't prevent the ball going in.

Marriott could have sealed it late on but fired way over the bar but the Reds couldn't find an equaliser and it was a disappointing exit from the FA Cup after our third meeting with the Linnets this season.

Attention will now turn back to the league as the Reds look to re-focus again and the visit of Darlington to the Impact Arena on Saturday, kick off is 3pm.

ATFCXI: Andrew, Clackstone, Thacker (Wilde 58), Lynch (Blake 83), Killock, Qualter, Branson, Smith, Clarke, Morgan-Smith, Johnson.

Subs Not Used: Grice, Atkinson, East, Hinchley.

Referee: R.Watkins
Attendance: 712

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 24, Sep 2019