League sponsor - Vanarama
Report: Reds continue to roll with third straight win

Report: Reds continue to roll with third straight win

By Towerzey Lisa
26 August
Share via

Alfreton Town 2-0 Southport

Two second half goals from Amari Morgan-Smith took his tally to six for the season, as the Reds fought past Southport on Bank Holiday Monday.

Alfreton recorded a third straight league win and in turn maintained an unbeaten start at the Impact Arena to rise to fourth in the table.

Amari pounced on a loose ball following a Dom Smith flick on in the Port box to guide the ball past the goalkeeper, before powering a Bobby Johnson header home from close range five minutes later to ultimately seal the points.

The game started in a very tight fashion but it was the visitors who imposed themselves on the contest early, Amari Morgan-Smith was the early target for some rough challenges. Neither side really created a big opening in the opening stages, Danny Clarke headed a Port corner away after a pass from Josh Wilde went astray.

Jack Atkinson got down well to hold a comfortable shot from Ogle, the Reds were defending well but were being stretched as the visitors opted to utilise the wings, Dom Smith headed a free kick away before further clearances from balls into our box came from Shane Killock and Josh Clackstone.

Josh Thacker couldn't quite connect to a Bobby Johnson cross at the far post, before Bobby curled a free kick straight at Hanford. This proved the last meaningful action of the half with the Reds growing into the game as the half progressed.

The second half saw a difference in tempo and quality from the Reds and we deservedly took the lead on 51 minutes when a free kick from Wilde was glanced on by Smith but the Port defence didn't pick up Amari Morgan-Smith who sneaked in front of his man to guide the ball past Hanford to opening the scoring.

Wilde was then denied with a last ditch block in the box after a neat flick from Amari. But from the resulting Johnson corner we made it 2-0, when Amari headed in from close range to give us clear daylight in the game.

Morgan-Smith was then taken out with what looked like a lunge from Morgan who escaped with a booking despite the challenge looking closer to a red card offence. The free kick was taken by Johnson whose effort was blocked.

Port did have a good chance on 70 when a header went over the bar at the far post, before Clackstone's shot was blocked via a hand, Johnson again stepped up but his free kick took a nick off the wall and went behind.

But we managed the final portion of the game well and sealed yet another three points to move to fourth in the table and remain unbeaten at the Impact this season. It was a gutsy display with the Guiseley game being just 48 hours prior, but once again Alfreton rose to the test and delivered another impressive result.

Next, we travel to Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday, kick off at Aggborough is 3pm.

ATFCXI: Atkinson, Clackstone, Wilde (c), Lynch (East 51), Killock, Qualter, Thacker, Smith, Clarke (Tomlinson 87), Morgan-Smith, Johnson.

Subs Not Used: Whitham, Blake, Williams.
Referee: Aaron Bannister
Attendance: 507

Share via