League sponsor - Vanarama
Report: Lions tamed as Reds climb to fifth

Report: Lions tamed as Reds climb to fifth

By Towerzey Lisa
24th August
Share via

Guiseley 2-4 Alfreton Town

Alfreton Town hit four goals for the second successive league game as we recorded a first away win of the season in a crazy contest at Nethermoor on Saturday, which in turn saw us make it three wins in our last four.

The Reds moved to fifth in the league table with the hosts, who had started the day in second place; move to sixth.

It was Alfreton's third win in the last four league games as Billy Heath's Reds move into the play off positions thanks to a stunning free kick from Bobby Johnson, Josh Thacker then hit a cracking low strike to give us the lead at the break. Second half goals from Amari Morgan-Smith from the spot and Danny Clarke sealed a first away win.

In sweltering conditions, it was the hosts who started the better, a long throw aimed towards league top scorer Martin saw the striker nod the ball wide with a last touch off a red shirt. A corner followed which the Reds cleared.

Alfreton were getting joy down the left through Josh Wilde who made several strong attacking runs but neither side were able to generate clear chances in the opening ten minutes.

Ryan Qualter produced a fantastic defensive header to deny Martin getting on the end of a cross from the left. We then gave possession away cheaply in central midfield with the Lions looking to make the most of it, however their attack broke down with a poor cross from Shaw.

With 19 gone, Guiseley took the lead when a through ball split us wide open and sent Martin through and he finished into the corner with only Jack Atkinson to beat.

Our response was swift and it was in truly stunning fashion as Danny Clarke was hauled to the ground 25 yards out, Bobby Johnson stepped up to curl a wonder strike into the top corner to add yet another picture-book free kick to his collection.

Ten minutes later, we led the contest as neat build up and interchanges from Wilde and Clarke saw Clarke back-heel the ball into space on the edge of the box where Josh Thacker strode into a pocket of space and hit a cracking strike into the bottom corner.

Amari Morgan-Smith went down under a challenge in the box with the penalty claims waved away before Atkinson held a Martin far post header. Clarke was then left in acres of space as he raced onto a long ball with no offside given, but good recovery saw the Lions defence prevent the danger.

The second half proved incredible for many reasons and began with Martin hitting the bar in the box after we failed to clear a ball into the box following a scramble. Jack then raced out to prevent Martin reaching the ball in the box.

With 60 minutes gone, a baffling decision followed as a forward ball was nodded harmlessly towards Atkinson but the Referee deemed this a pass-back even though Josh Clackstone had no contact with the ball. An in-direct free kick followed which was slammed home into the corner to the utter dismay of all associated in red.

Danny Clarke then went down in the box with a free kick given instead, despite the challenge looking like it came inside the area. Bobby stepped up but could only curl over the bar.

More strange decisions followed as the linesman flagged for handball against Killock as he launched the ball upfield, the second linesman then flagged for offside on Amari. The referee gave the offside call but nothing on the handball against Killock as Guiseley protested.

The Lions missed a big chance on 76 as Shaw broke free down the right and his square ball found Soleman a yard out, but somehow he fired over the bar. This proved a blessing in disguise as the Reds won a penalty soon after with Wilde being caught in the box.

Amari stepped up to convert with Kenworthy getting a touch as he dived the wrong way. It was a brilliant response given the circumstances of the Lions equaliser. The game was then sealed with on 83 when Clarke prodded home after Shane Killock's header was blocked away only to the feet of Danny who converted.

This proved the last of the action as we sealed a first away win of the campaign and a third win in four games. It was another impressive display from the Reds who move onto Southport at the Impact Arena on Bank Holiday Monday, kick off is 3pm.

ATFCXI: Atkinson, Clackstone, Wilde (c), Lynch, Killock, Qualter, Thacker, Smith, Clarke, Morgan-Smith (Tomlinson 90), Johnson (East 87).

Subs Not Used: Whitham, Blake, Williams.

Referee: Dean Hulme
Attendance: 663

Share via