News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Report - Alfreton Town 1-0 Rushall Olympic

Report - Alfreton Town 1-0 Rushall Olympic

Towerzey Lisa30 Mar - 18:27
Share via

Reds emerge from hard fought contest with Rushall with three points thanks to Thewlis winner

Perfect start to the easter weekend double header for Alfreton.

After a disappointing performance last time out Brackley it was important for Alfreton to improve and get back to winning ways if they were going to maintain their berth in the playoff positions.

Billy Heath made two changes to the starting lineup with Brisley ruled out and McDonagh only fit enough to feature on the bench having both been forced off during the defeat at St James Park.

Alfreton started the brighter of the two sides and had their first opening on four minutes. A free kick on halfway taken by George Willis was flicked on by Ken Digie to Jake Day but his first effort was saved by Weaver and the rebound was blocked before being cleared to safety.

Three minutes later Jake Day held the ball up well before playing through to Jordan Thewlis who rounded the keeper and rolled into the empty net but the flag was up and it was ruled out. Alfreton maintained their dominance of the game and would have opened the scoring if it wasn’t for two superb Rushall blocks first from Liam Waldock then again seconds later from Dwayne Wiley.

Rushall had their first and best chance of the afternoon after twenty-five minutes following a corner. Willis who thought he was fouled, was unable to push clear the ball fell to Brown six yards out in the centre of the goal but he blazed over by some distance. George Willis who was rightfully awarded match of the match and featured in the National League Team of the Week made a potential save of the season after a free header from Oseni from six yards out looked destined for the bottom left-hand corner but the Reds number one dived and somehow managed to push it wide and Josh Clackstone cleared to safety for Alfreton.

The first half ended goalless. Alfreton had to majority of the chances but the best chances fell to the visitors.

The second half continued in the same fashion with Ofton controlling the game and looking more likely to open the scoring. Jordan Thewlis had an effort cleared off the line after he volleyed well from a Ken Digie cross.

Alfreton continued to be on top and it wasn’t long until they had the opener. On fifty-one minutes, similar to the disallowed goal in the first half, Jake Day played through Jordan Thewlis who rounded the keeper and rolled into the empty net for his 16th goal of the season to give Alfreton a deserved lead.

Rushall nearly hit back four minutes later after Maher took the ball into the Alfreton box before cutting back and driving the ball to the near post which required another good save from Willis. The Reds goalkeeper was forced into another good save on sixty-one minutes after he was out quickly, stayed big, and saved well to thwart Oseni.

Willis then made another two saves in as many minutes to first deny Pics captain Fletcher from a distance before Maye had a similar attempt tipped over the bar.

Recently Alfreton have dropped points late on in games and been punished for not being able to manage the final stages of the matches and that is something they would be keen not to repeat. To Alfreton's delight, Luis Griffiths blew his whistle for full-time time and Rushall were left to rue a string of missed chances and traveled back to the West Midlands empty-handed as the Reds recorded a hard fought first ever win over Rushall Olympic in their history

Alfreton now faces a tough trip to Chester on Easter Monday after picking up a crucial three points and maintaining their position in the playoff spots heading into the final five fixtures of the season.

Further reading